The Story of Algebra: Unit 1 - Coherent Operations
Schedule: This is a Self-Paced Course
Grade Span: 6th, 7th and 8th grade
About This Course
In Building up Algebra students create the rules of algebra from which its incredible power springs forth. After all, algebra is a language whose utility lies in its ability to describe just about everything! Trends, relationships, and patterns can all be documented with algebra. Predictions can be made using algebra. But the key first step is to build a set of sensible rules. Once students establish these key structures through their own explorations of what seems to make sense and what doesn’t, the rest is not about learning algebra, it is about using algebra!
- Solving for one unknown in an algebraic equation (ideally, students should have taken or be currently taking pre-algebra or algebra)
- Graphing Skills: determine scale for coordinate axes, properly drawing and labeling axes
- Familiarity with the Scientific Method and simple experimental design,
- Ability to collect and record their own data
- Basic knowledge of or exposure to general chemistry is recommended (e.g. structure of atoms, types of molecular bonds, polarity, acids and bases, and converting between grams and moles)
How a Self-Paced Course Works
Students advance through a series of really interesting labs. Each lab goes like this:
Kid takes materials out of a box
Kid watches a 3-minute video
Kid runs a 10-30-minute lab. (Kid is pumped up!)
Kid does a lab write-up and a little problem set for quick feedback
Kid watches a concluding video and moves to the next lab!
In addition, there are bonus videos and readings and even a problem set designed to deepen an intuitive understanding of the topics.